Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Confused by Food Network

I was just looking for a recipe from Good Eats on the Food Network site and they have a quiz on fall food on the first page. It asks people to vote from the following choices as to what fall-friendly meal they will prepare this season:

Macaroni & cheese
Lasagna
Butternut squash soup
Roasted root vegetables
Casserole

There is no option for all of the above. Now, Fall, Autumn, whatever you call it, is three months long. It is not unreasonable to think that someone could make all of the above, more than once, during the season. This is the Food Network, after all. People who are on their site are interested in food and likely to cook. Why must I pick just one item? I make different forms of macaroni and cheese things every couple months. Just a few weeks ago, when I had some greens from my CSA, I did a version that had the greens in it. Casseroles? Super easy, quick meal. And roasted root vegetable? That is a good side for many meals. I just don't understand how a channel dedicated to food can think their audience will only make one of these items this season. Are their viewers only eating once every three months? In the 90 days of the season, even if someone doesn't cook all the time, they are going to have to cook a few times. I don't know...it just seems an odd question to me.