Friday, January 18, 2008

Mmmmm, heavy cream and cheese

Is it wrong to want to drink the pasta sauce you made for dinner?

I wanted something kind of quick for dinner so I made some penne with a gorgonzola cream sauce. The sauce was really simple, I just cooked about half a samll, white onion in some olive oil with a couple cloves of garlic, added some chicken stock and a splash of white wine, let it reduce, then added heavy cream. After the pasta was done cooking I took the pan of sauce off the heat, added some crumbled gorgonzola, stirred until melted, then dumped the pasta in. Mmmm, mmm.

I don't buy gorgonzola that often so I kind of forget how tasty it is, but I stopped at Aldi's this week to buy their enameled, cast iron dutch oven and picked up some gorgonzola crumbles while I was there.

I need to go get some more...

Ok, so the sauce isn't very heathful with all that cream and cheese but I did fill over half my plate with salad so it wasn't that bad.

While cooking I was thinking about this appetier a local restaurant has, Gorgonzola chips. They are so good. So simple yet so tasty. The menu there changes seasonally but they always have those chips.

Gorgonzola, yum.